Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Happy 200th Birthday, Liberty, New York!

Last night, Betsy and our waitress were bonding over Sonic Limeade. I can't remember even ever having been in a Sonic before, let alone trying a Sonic Limeade. So, first thing thing this morning, we made our way right to Sonic to check these drinks out. (Really, they were even raving over the ice Sonic uses in its beverages!) OK...so...I'm sold. Good stuff.

As Betsy is driving out of Colorado and into Nebraska this morning, I decided to check-out the USA Today we have in hand (courtesy of Best Western). I turn the front cover of the USA Today only to see a big story about my hometown on page 3. For Liberty, New York to make page 3 of USA Today, well that's big news in itself! OMG! I nearly spilled my Strawberry Limeade and I think Betsy nearly drove off the road. Check it out yourself:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-07-02-liberty-ny-celebration_N.htm?csp=34

Happy 200th Birthday, Liberty!

It was only fitting that for lunch today, we found a wonderful ice cream and lunch spot in Broken Bow, Nebraska. Not only did they have good eats, they had BROASTED CHICKEN, which, of course, I had to have for lunch.

Those who had the pleasure of visiting the Dairy Barn in Liberty will know exactly what I'm talking about. For those of you that haven't, in a nutshell, I grew up scooping ice cream and serving Broasted Chicken at my family's business in Liberty. I know ice cream stands need no explanation, but here's the closest I can bring you to the Broasted Chicken experience:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A26913-2004Apr20

Too bad we never served Limeade there, too.

2 comments:

Bobbie said...

I miss the Dairy Barn too. Particularly the potato salad. Its the Fourth, and activities are carrying on, despite the rainy day. Happy Birthday Liberty!

Unknown said...

I can't believe you've never been to Sonic before! They are very common down in the South. I will drive miles out of the way just for a Diet Coke with their pellet ice. Glad ya'll are sold...