Monday, July 2, 2007

Tumbleweed Hunters



















We started the morning in Moab -- specifically visiting the Arches National Park. Wow. In fact we quickly tired of saying 'wow!". But it was spectacular and awe-inspiring. We hiked about 3 miles in different spots to look at some of the arches and they were worth every step!

We drove from Moab to Sterling Colorado... Sterling is on the North Platte River in the Northeast corner of the state. Beautiful ranching and farming country.

When we crossed the Utah/Colorado border it was 110 degrees. And it stayed hot -- even in the low 90's at the top of the Rockies. I took 139 pictures today. It was simply beautiful everywhere you looked. I love the sun roof in Liz's car -- I got some great shots using the sun roof!
We did get stopped at the top of the Rockies in about 20 minutes of traffic while they were clearing an accident. A passer-by at the rest stop warned Liz that there was a 4 and half hour wait... So I called my friend Ty (Who lives and works in Fort Collins) and with a terrible signal and dying phone battery we begged him for information. Ty said the web was saying 20 minutes so we forged on ahead. Thank you Ty!

One thing I forgot to mention earlier happened in Burns... Liz and I were in Burns getting fuel before we headed out to Winnemucca. I was wearing an obnoxious orange OSU shirt. A gentleman walked up to me and said "We've been in the back country for the last week -- how'd the boys do?" I was so floored I thought he was kidding me. I told him we WON!!! and he cheered!
We're headed thru NE to Des Moines if all goes well. And we're heading for Carhenge... I was told to see it -- and we've had several folks along the way recommend it. So off we go...
Betsy

1 comment:

Jen said...

Ah! You beat me to it. I was gonna recommend Arches National Park but there you were when I logged on this evening! :-) Lovin' the pictures and stories ... can't wait for tomorrow.
Sweet dreams, ladies!